Monday, December 19, 2016

Moving to Szolnok

It's been quite a week! I left the big city of Budapest and I'm here in the much smaller city of Szolnok. I still don't really know a ton about it, but I will soon learn all the inns and outs I'm sure. Packing up to move was crazy and I didn't start until late transfer eve but I got everything done and transfers went pretty smoothly. We will still be going to on splits with the other sisters once every week with the cities of Szeged and Békéscsaba. I am excited to continue to be a Sister Training Leader, it's always nice to see the other sisters in the mission, and I'm happy to be with Gordon nővér for her last transfer. She is from St. George. The elders here in Szolnok worked with us are Nanto, Pulsipher, and Terry, they are in a trio companionship. It's been a huge change without sirens going off all the time as we walk down the street and it's been strange without the metro and villamos and there are a lot less people, but it will be good. 

We went  back to Budapest on Friday for Missionary Leadership Council and it was really great. I also got to see cute little József bácsi while I was there right before the meeting. He was so happy and a little confused when I showed up at his apartment with a nativity I wanted to give him for Christmas. He was overjoyed! It is also really cool because his daughter, Anna, used to live in Szolnok and she still comes here often so I will get to see her occasionally. 

We had a really fun Christmas party with the members here in Szolnok. It is a rather small branch but they are like a family and are really nice. They are so so excited that I play the piano and a few of them told me that they have been praying for a pianist to come to Szolnok for a long time. One lady said "I know that God answers prayers because he sent you, and especially because he sent you right before Christmas." It was really sweet. 

I am studying a lot about the concept of Humility lately. A mission is a humbling experience and I feel like I also have developed a new understanding of what it even means to be humble. I think sometimes we think of humbleness as a weakness or shortcoming but humbleness is really a spiritual strength. To be humble means willfully accepting God's will and that we need Him. It is selflessness. It is gratitude. It is knowing that we really can do whatever the Lord asks of us with his help. It is improvement. I am so grateful for each day to become better than who I was even the day before. It is never too late to change or work to improve.

Church was really nice yesterday. I missed all the kids running around in Budapest but the branch here is charming and I am excited to get to know them better. I have only met with one person who the sisters here have been teaching. Her name is Rózsa and she is really sweet. She opened up to us a lot last night and I already love her. We are going to be doing a lot of finding here because there aren't a ton of people that they have been meeting with, but I am excited to find people. 

I hope that you each have a fantastic Christmas. I love you and look forward to see you in a few months. I am so grateful for our Savior, Jesus Christ and for this special time of year. I know that Heavenly Father knows us personally and what is best for us and that He loves us more that we can comprehend. I am so grateful for this time to be a missionary here in Hungary and to share the light of this gospel with the people here. Two of my favorite scriptures are in Isaiah 9, verses 2 and 6. We truly can be a light to others as we love and serve them each and every day. 

 2 The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined.
6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

If you haven't watched this years Christmas video yet be sure to watch it!

Sok szeretettel, Schoendorfer Nővér

New District in Szolnok.

Coming back from Budapest, we had to transfer at a train station in Cegled.

A few last pictures from Budapest. I will miss Kriszti.

I will also miss Piroska and cute Hannah.


And I am also truly going to miss McGregor.

Szolnok and my new companion Gordon Nover.


This was our train ride home from Budapest after the MLC with the Zone Leaders that are serving in Szeged.

Szolnok.

The Branch Christmas Party -- this is Erzsi playing pin the nose on the reindeer.

Sandor, a member that Greenwood nover taught while she was here months ago, who got baptized. 

We also traveled to Cegled, a close by city, about a 10 minute train ride.


A little Christmas in our apartment.




Coming back home from Budapest, we had a beautiful sunset.

Making some Christmas cookies for the Branch party.

My new companion, Gordon Nover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment