Thursday, November 19, 2015

MTC - Week 6


     This week has been both eye opening as well as comforting, all at the same time. The language (learning Hungarian), among other things, can be challenging and discouraging at times. However, I have also had my testimony strengthened so much recently of the enabling power of the Atonement, and I know that we can can receive strength and peace because of Christ's Atonement. 
     A friend of mine, Kaleb, sent me a letter and he shared a scripture with me that was really helpful. In 1 Nephi 20:10 it says,  "For behold, I have refined thee, I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction." He expressed to me that although there will be things that are hard to understand at first, and even though we may not know why things happen the way the do, we can still benefit from them. He pointed out that eternal refinement comes at a great cost, but it is also a time when we can humbly come closer to God and learn from each experience, instead of shrinking. (If you want to read more about this topic, you can find Elder Bednar's amazing talk that Kaleb sent me entitled "That We Might Not Shrink." 
     During our Devotional on Tuesday night with Elder Kim B. Clark, we were taught about 'Simple Truths' that can help us to have a positive, powerful impact on other each day. These principles are obedience, hard work, striving to have the spirit, and love. Each of these are simple, yet powerful, and I know they are so important in our lives. 
     In Moses 6:31-34, we read a beautiful promise given from the Lord, to Enoch, who was called to be a prophet. But, I know that it has application to us today, and it was so comforting to me when I read it. 

"31 And when Enoch had heard these words, he bowed
​ ​
himself to the earth, before the Lord, and spake before the
​ ​
Lord, saying: Why is it that I have found favor in thy sight, and am but a lad, and all the people hate me; for I am slow
​ ​
of speech; wherefore am I thy servant?
32 And the Lord said unto Enoch: Go forth and do as I
​ ​
have commanded thee, and no man shall pierce thee. Open thy mouth, and it shall be filled, and I will give thee
​ ​
utterance, for all flesh is in my hands, and I will do as seemeth me good.
33 Say unto this people: Choose ye this day, to serve the
​ ​
Lord God who made you.
34 Behold my Spirit is upon you, wherefore all thy words
​ ​
will I justify; and the mountains shall flee before you, and
​ ​
the rivers shall turn from their course; and thou shalt abide
​ ​
in me, and I in you; therefore walk with me
​."

     Like, Enoch, I feel like I am "slow of speech" but I know that with the Lord's help I will be able to learn the Hungarian language and communicate with the people of Hungary. I love at the end of the scripture passage where the Lord says "walk with me." I know that if we are being faithful and striving to walk with the Lord, He will bless us. 
     A funny story before I tell you about what happened Sunday is from our First Counselor in the Mission Presidency, who is quite the guy. After every story he tells (which are numerous), he usually just laughs at himself even if it wasn't a very funny story, and he clearly is not worried about whether or not it relates to anything we were talking about. He told us that when he was on his mission he would only iron the very front of his shirts and then he would just throw on a suit coat so no one knew that his shirts were super wrinkly. He said he did that his WHOLE mission and still does today! Hahah, I thought that was a hilarious story, after many which were not so funny. 
     Anyways, last Sunday we had a Women's Conference which was really inspiring. The first speaker talked to us about miracles and the second speaker, Sister Cindy Gilbert, talked about how we each have "stuff" we are holding onto that may be hindering our potential. She illustrated this by telling us about her granddaughter who really wanted to help her carry some cans of food up the stairs, but also really didn't want to put her doll down, even for just a second to help. I think I am sometimes like this little girl, and I so appreciated her sharing this because it was a great reminder for me to be focused on what I know is most important, and to put down the things I don't need to be carrying right now. 
     In church last Sunday I played a piano duet with Greenwood 
Nővér
​. We played 'My Heavenly Father Loves Me'. It is a really beautiful arrangement by Sally Deford, and it was wonderful to play with her, we actually auditioned the piece this morning so we may play it in a Devotional at some point as well. 
     Also, in church, our Branch President, President Garr, shared the story of Joan of Arc which I have reflected on several times since. I realize I have heard the story before, but this time I truly took it to heart. He shared with us Joan of Arc's last words, which were, "The world can use these words: I know this now - every man gives his life for what he believes; every woman gives her life for what she believes. Sometimes people believe in little or nothing, and yet they give their lives to that little or nothing. One life is all we have, and we live it as we believe in living it, and then it's gone. But to surrender what you are and live without belief is more terrible than dying, even more terrible than dying young."  Wow, that is just so powerful to me! 
     Another Devotional on Sunday night was given by Greg Droubay, he has a leadership position in the Church Media Department. He showed us the new Christmas video, "A Savior is Born" which hasn't actually been released yet (look for that soon). He also told us about a huge bill board the church is putting up in New York City for Christmas, along with 400 taxi toppers! 
     Yesterday, we Skyped with members of the church in Hungary, and had to talk as well as teach them for thirty minutes. It was definitely eye opening, because that is what I am going to be doing in person in just 2 and a half weeks! It was honestly a bit difficult to hear them because of the bad connection, but it was a really cool experience. Next week we get to do that again, and I am hoping to be able to Skype with Levente's family! Another companionship in my District got to Skype with Levente's mom as well as his little brother, whom I love so much! 
     Anyways, I think that is about it for the week. I have been speaking a ton of Hungarian, and  our District is starting to review all that we've learned thus far. It is crazy to realize how much I have mastered in 6 weeks, and it is even crazier to think about the fact that I will be getting on a plane for Hungary in 17 days! 
     One more thought I wanted to leave with you is a quick quote that my companion, Vasica 
Nővér
​ shared with me, she said "It doesn't get easier, but we do get stronger." I know that is true, and she is the best example of that truth for me. I realize that I am suppose to be companions with her, and that I am suppose to be here right now. I have learned so much in the past six weeks, and I am just so grateful for the experiences I've been able have here at the Missionary Training Center.
 

     Tudom hogy Jézus Krisztus él és A Mormon Könyve igaz. Tudom hogy családok örökévalóak. Tudom hogy boldog vagyok az evangélium miatt. Tudom hogy Isten szereti gyermekeit és ő akarja, hogy visszatérjünk hozza.  (I know that Jesus Christ lives and that the Book of Mormon is true. I know that families are forever. I know that I am happy because of the gospel. I know that God loves his children and that He wants us to return to Him.)

Szeretek titeket! ​

Sok szeretettel,   Schoendorfer 
​​
Nővér


Learning Hungarian can really give you a brain cramp!



No comments:

Post a Comment