Monday, October 24, 2016

A New Transfer!

Well, I said goodbye to Willets nővér in the middle of the week and she went off to the beautiful city of Eger with her new missionary, fresh to the country, Morris nővér. We met up with all the new missionaries last week and took them out to talk to Hungarians for their very first time and I actually went with Morris nővér and she is the coolest! She and Willets will have a blast together. She is one of the bravest girls ever and I am so excited for them.

I took McGregor nővér back with me to our charming Pest area that has only grown more dear to my heart. I adore this city and it will never lose its charm to me. I feel so blessed to be here with McGregor nővér and it has been so much fun to be together again, I haven't really been able to spend too much time with her since our MTC days. It was kind of funny because Dixon elder is in our district right now too, so it is like a little MTC reunion. 

This week, we met with a new guy named Roland. We met Roland on the street a few months ago and I remember it was a really hot day. Roland is about 20 years old and right now goes to a church where it is a bunch of different denominations together and he wants to know about the differences and why there are so many churches. We had not been able to meet with him until finally last week, when we were able to! It was wonderful being able to tell him about Joseph Smith, who had those same questions. It was also really cool because he told us he wasn't really super interested before and just was planning on meeting with us to see what we had to say but half way through the lesson he was talking about how he feels like this is what he needs and that it seems a lot more meaningful than he originally thought it would be. We are going to meet with him again tomorrow so I am excited to see where that goes. We also had another first lesson with a guy named Mert. He is from Turkey and it is kind of funny because his name, in Hungarian, means the word "because." It was really cool to get to know him because before the lesson I hadn't even met him. Willets nővér had talked with him when she was on splits a few weeks ago. I love telling people about this gospel, and the truths that we are blessed to know, who have never heard about it before. It is always such a an incredible experience.

We met with József a few times last week and he is doing so great! We moved his baptism date to November 19th because of some church activities that are going on all day on the 12th and a member of the seventy will be coming. So, everything is going smoothly with József and hopefully everything continues to be that way. He has really come a long way from when I first met him and that is so amazing for me to be able to see and feel a difference about him. He has a really strong faith and since he lives on our same street, we go to church with him almost every week. While on the metro and the villamos on the way there, József and I talked all about music, composers, the organ, and how I would love to be a music conductor. He is really smart and knows so much about music. 

So far, being together only about 5 days, McGregor nővér and I have gotten two let-ins while we have been tracting. The first one was with a really great couple from Lithuania who are diplomats here in Hungary. They have the most beautiful home, I felt like I was in the president's house or something, it was stunning. We had a really great chat with them and told them what we believe. Before we left, they asked us if we could sing for them and so we did. We sang "I am a Child of God" for them and I felt the spirit so strongly and felt such a feeling of peace and comfort. I love the words of simple primary songs. The couple loved it and said we could come see them again after they come home from their trip to Spain next week. Our other let-in was with a cute young couple and their little son, named Gordon. The girl, Tamára, had been to English classes by the missionaries in another city so she knew who we were and before we even brought it up, she asked if we have another book that we believe in. We then were able to talk to them all about the Book of Mormon and eternal families. Teaching families is my favorite part of missionary work. I feel like we often teach single people but it is such a blessing when we are able to find a family and help them to feel not only closer to Christ, but to one another as well.

A few days ago we finally got our heat and warm water fixed. It has been kind of an ongoing process and I have had some cold showers in the past little bit and we have been pretty bundled up. I am so grateful to have some heat again! The ward had a cute little Halloween party here on Saturday which was really fun, the kids loved it! 

This ward has really become my Hungarian family over the past four months and I am so happy to be with them for another two months and after that to have life long friendships here. I feel such a peace with all of them. One of my favorite scriptures from this week has been Helaman 5:47

"Peace, peace be unto you, because of your faith in my Well Beloved, who was from the foundation of the world."

Sometimes in life it can seem hard to find peace and even as a missionary, especially in the nonstop world of Budapest, I have struggled to find peace at times. But I know that because of a loving Heavanly Father and his son, Jesus Christ, we can find peace even during times where we may feel it is hard to find. 

Yesterday was a holiday here, it was the 1956 Remembrance Day and Declaration of the Republic (1956-os forradalom napja). 

Have a happy week and enjoy the Fall weather. This is my absolute favorite season! Halloween isn't really a celebrated holiday here but I hope you all have fun with Halloween there and I would love to see pictures of all those fun costumes!

Sok szeretettel, Schoendorfer Nővér

McGregor nover -- my new companion.
Beautiful Parliament
Here is Jozsef.


Look -- we made heart shaped meatloaf.

2 comments:

  1. Your wonderful descriptions make me feel that I am walking those streets and meeting those people too! Keep up the incredible service dear Sister Schoendorfer. You are in our twice daily prayers by name. Sister Jones Morton

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am grateful she will have heat and warm showers again. Brrr!

    ReplyDelete