Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Life in Kispest

Hey!!! I am here in my new home of Kispest and absolutely loving it! It is an amazing place. It is fast paced and busy, but so far, life in the big city has been a dream come true. Last Wednesday, we woke up at 3:30 and headed to the train station to make our way to transfers. It was a fun train ride because part way through, Greenwood Nővér got on. It was SO good to see her since I hadn't seen her since the new missionary training in January. Also, at transfers, our whole MTC group was together which was so much fun! My companion is Willets Nővér, who I knew before my mission, and the Elders in our city are Elders Lindow and Knight. They were kind and helped carry luggage. At one point Knight Elder carried my heavy (and broken) suitcase over his head! Hahah it was crazy! The past few days have felt like a dream honestly. I can't believe this is my new home for a little bit, I'm so excited. 

On our first day together, we got two phone numbers, just talking to people on the street. Actually, right after getting off the villamos (streetcar) one day, a bácsi came up to us and (in English) said "Will you convert me!?" We said "of course we can!" He was so cute and was just asking questions. He also said he was retiring in September and wanted us to call him then! Hahah, it was so funny! It is so interesting coming to a new place. There are new sounds, obviously new sights, and, well, new smells too. We ride the metro, and villamos almost everywhere and have been really busy. Also, we found a cute little hedgehog home right by our apartment! Perfect, since I am Süni Nővér! (hedgehog)

So far, I have met József, Csilla, Barbi, and Peti, whom are just a few of our investigators. József is my favorite! We actually call him Józsi - he is a free thinker, has a lot of ideas, and loves the scriptures! We have already met with him twice since I've been here and he has taught me so much. A few months ago, Józsi didn't even believe in God or Jesus Christ, and now, he does and he has been progressing so much. He is a really cool guy. At the end of our last lesson we asked if he wanted to say the pray and he said "Sure, I'll say a baby prayer." I am really looking forward to teaching him more and really going in depth, talking about the gospel, because that is what he loves to do. Csilla is a woman in her thirties and she is adorable! We didn't have a huge lesson with her but I am so excited to meet with her and start teaching her more. We also ran into another investigator randomly when we went to get some dinner the other day and she has the cutest name, Peti Edit. She was so happy to see us and we ate dinner and talked with her. 

I love teaching Angolóra (English classes) here in Kispest. We teach the advanced class and it is really fun. This last week, we just asked a few questions - like how do you build a house, and how do you train a dog, if you could invent something, what would it be -  and they loved it! It was really fun. 

This past week we were also in a trio with Heath Nővér for four days before her family came! It was really fun and then on Saturday we took her to the mission home to see her family that just got here! 

Church was so fun! It was huge!!! It was crazy because for the past 8 months, every week, church has been pretty small for me with not a lot of people. Kispest is so big though. There are so many families and I am so excited that there are also children here! They actually have a primary here! The kids are charming and so sweet. Our bishop is a jolly guy and during a meeting before church, they had to pass my missionary tag down the table because they couldn't figure out how to spell it! Hahah it was so funny. Also, I saw Levente's family which was such a treat. Gizi (mom) was so excited to see us. I told her about how some people call me Süni (hedgehog--- because it's easier to say then Schoendorfer) and then we talked about how Willets' last name in Engligh is a bird, and their family's last name, Medveczky, minus the "czky" means bear. So we laughed about how all of us together make up a little zoo! Church was wonderful and the ward thought it was so funny how many little connections there are with Willets and I and also with the Medveczky family. One of the cute girls, Panni, said that "God sent me here to Kispest," it was so sweet. 

Our area is very large and I'm really excited to explore and really dig into the work here. There are so many people everywhere and I'm just stocked! We see all kinds of crazy things, from turtles on the metro, to hedgehogs in the park! We also get to tract buildings in the Belváros (the main city center) and the buildings from the outside don't always look like anything special, but on the inside, they are beautiful! It is so fun! We will have splits starting this week with the sisters in the mission. They will both be coming here, so hopefully I will be able to find my way around the city by then without Willets Nővér! Hahah it will be an adventure! 

Also, I found this scripture the other day and I just loved it. It is Alma 5:60 and it says: "And now I say unto you that the good shepherd doth call after you, and if you will hearken unto his voice he will bring you into his fold, and ye are his sheep, and he commandeth you that ye suffer no ravenous wolf to enter among you, that ye may not be destroyed."

All we have to do is hearken to the words of the Lord and we will be numbered as one of His own, and He will protect us!  

​Sok​
 szeretettel,  
Schoendorfer Nővér
Pictures from Transfer - Sister Greenwood and myself
It was great to see friends from our MTC group!


So beautiful - I love my new city!
Parliament Building
Our temporary threesome


Tracting in Budapest 
They have some beautiful architecture here
This is just one of the many beautiful churches here
The Medveczky parents! Photo re-creation from last summer to now


We found a little suni (hedgehog) family close to where we live
My new companion Willets Nover and I enjoying some ice cream 

No comments:

Post a Comment