Thursday, December 3, 2015

MTC - Week 9

​     
You know you've been in the MTC for a long time when someone you don't even know passes you and says "Wait! You're still here!?" (Haha) yes, that really happened. I think she knew me from my Sister Missionary friend from New Zealand, but it was kind of funny. 
     So as I'm getting ready to leave the MTC, I have realized that I'm just going to have to get used to saying lots of goodbyes while on my mission, and I know that they will probably get harder with the people in Hungary. We had to say goodbye today to our teachers and it was so difficult. I am beyond grateful for each and every one of them and for the enormous amount of time, thought, and effort they have put into preparing us to go to Hungary. They have all been incredible in teaching us the language and in helping us to grow spiritually. They haven't spoken any English to us until the last day, for about an hour, so it has been an amazing experience learning from them. 
     I have recently found a lot of comfort in the scripture D&C 31:11-13, which says:

​ 
11  Go your way whithersoever I will, and it shall be given you by the Comforter what you shall do and whither you shall go.

 12  Pray always, lest you enter into temptation and lose your reward.

 13  Be faithful unto the end, and lo, I am with you. These words are not of man nor of men, but of me, even Jesus Christ, your Redeemer, by the will of the Father. Amen.

     I love that it says "withersoever I will," because I know that we will be blessed when we are doing that which is right and when we are trying to take upon ourselves the attributes of Christ. 
      I want to share a story about one of the devotionals we had this past week. My companion and I had been packing for our trip so we were running a few minutes late, but still arrived before the devotional started, although we didn't think there would be any seats towards the front. However, when we walked in there were two seats right close to the front, score! The amazing seats were lucky, but the part that was even better to me was that I could see perfectly the ASL interpreter (she was there to help the sign language missionaries practice). As I watched her, I was filled with an over whelming happy feeling, and I felt the spirit so strongly, I felt Heavenly Father's love that He has for all of us. As I looked around, I saw how many people are here, and how many different languages are being taught here everyday. As I watched the ASL interpreter, I pondered how amazing it is that people all around the world, because of the missionaries in the Language Training Center will be able to learn the gospel in their own language, even if it is sign language. I thought about how much Heavenly Father helps us each and everyday, if we have faith and trust in Him, we can learn what's needed so that we can bring others the message of the restored gospel. I know that He is the one that wants us to learn our new languages even more we do ourselves. I am so so grateful to have had the opportunity to be here for the last 9 weeks, it has truly been an incredible experience and I have learned so much. I am so excited to go to Hungary in just a few days and be a REAL missionary! It is going to be such an adventure and I am thrilled to go! 

     Here is a poem, by Petőfi Sándor, that one of our teachers shared with us that I really like. 

Talpra magyar, hí a haza!
Itt az idő, most vagy soha!
Rabok legyünk, vagy szabadok?
Ez a kérdés, válasszatok!
A magyarok istenére
Esküszünk,
Esküszünk,
Hogy rabok tovább

​ ​
nem leszünk!


​Here is the translation, more or less:

Hungarian to his feet, the country calls!
Now is the time, now or never!
Shall we be slaves or free?
A question, Answer!
The God of the Hungarians
We vow,
We vow, that slaves
We will not be!

     The poem is about some of the history of Hungary. There have been numerous trials that Hungary has faced. Our teacher expressed how much the people there want the gospel. It may not be something they necessarily think they need, but it is truly what they need. The gospel is something that can help everyone! Religion has been something that has at times been a source of contention in their history, but the people need something they can grasp onto in life, the truth which will strengthen them and make them happier. Our teacher also shared a verse that she thinks is relevant to the Hungarians; it is Isaiah 9:2: 

The people that walked in darkness have seen a greatlight: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death,upon them hath the light shined.

     I believe that the gospel has the power to change lives and that through the enabling power of Jesus Christ's Atonement, we can receive strength and peace each and every day. I know that miracles happen when we hold tight to our faith when we are faced with hard times. I also came upon this verse in the Book of Mormon that I love. 2 Nephi 26:24 says:  

He doeth not anything save it be for the benefit of the world; for he loveth the world, even that he layeth down
​ ​
his own life that he may draw all men unto him. Wherefore, he commandeth none that they shall not
​ ​
partake of his salvation.  I love this verse because it says "all." Christ suffered for ALL of us, not just some. Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ want us to come unto them.

     Before I go, I just want to share one quote from my companion whom I have grown to love dearly. She said the following while walking back from the temple today, after seeing a woman in very high heeled boots, she stated "Life is hard enough without high heels!" Hahah, she is the best and I love her simple truths! 

Love you all! 


Sok szeretettel, Schoendorfer Nővér

SZEP - Hungarian for Beautiful

We have enjoyed the snow over the past week

Vasica and I at the Provo Temple










No comments:

Post a Comment