Monday, December 21, 2015

Life in Nyiregyhaza

Hello!

     It has been another great week here in Hungary. I will start at the beginning of the week and tell you about an experience I had last Monday evening. I was feeling rather concerned about a few things - some in relation to here and some things at home. Sometimes, I find it's rather hard to remember that the Lord has a plan for each of us. It shouldn't be hard, but for some reason, it just is at times. That evening, we were with the Elders in our District for dinner and they could tell that I was a little worried; one of them asked if I thought a Priesthood Blessing would help. I am so glad that I received a blessing, because it did bring enormous comfort and peace to me. I know that Heavenly Father is looking out for us and that as we are faithful, we can receive strength. I really do believe that this is true and I have truly felt the comfort from the Power of the Priesthood. One thing I will share from the blessing is that there are people here that need me, and I know that is true as well. Now is the time for me to share the testimony that I have worked hard to build over time and I know will continue to grow each day as I turn to the Lord. 

     I think I mentioned Izabella last week, she is a Néni (older woman) who just walked into church a few weeks ago. We have been teaching her and she has been coming to all the activities we've had. She is such a sweet lady and she even brought her granddaughter to one of the lessons. I am looking forward to teaching her more. She has expressed a lot of hard things that have happened in her life, but I know the gospel can really help her, as it can help everyone! 

    Another wonderful experience happened one night while we were walking home; I approached an older man who was just slowly walking by some shops. As soon as I started talking to him, there were suddenly four more people who came over to hear what we were saying. It didn't look like it when I had first approached him, but he was there with all of his family. They all intently listened as we introduced the Book of Mormon, it was a powerful experience for me. I was able to bear a simple testimony about what I know to be true and we gave them two copies of the Book of Mormon. I don't know if we will hear from them again or not, but at least it is a seed planted and that can sometimes be the catalyst that will prompt someone later on in life to learn more about the gospel. 

     This week I taught a lesson! It was a little scary because this language is so so difficult and I don't understand everything that is being said, but my trainer has been really great to get me involved in teaching the lessons. I taught about the message of the Restoration and it was a really neat experience. 

     On Wednesday we had a Zone Conference in Budapest which was wonderful. We had to wake up at 4:15 am and take a 3 hour train ride there, but it was good because we all just slept, haha. We had a game of white elephant and also went to the movies! We saw 'The Little Prince'. It was enjoyable, I actually loved it, even if it was in Hungarian.

     On Saturday, we had a Sport Day which was super fun. We played soccer for a while which I LOVED! It felt good to run around and get to know some of the people here. There were only two Hungarians who came and the 5 missionaries in our District, but we had a blast. Also, I guess I noticed this over the Summer, but people in Europe generally don't run for fun or exercise just around town, at least that's what I've noticed. This morning, my companion and I went for a run and got the funniest looks and also honked at twice. It's cool though, it made for an experience. 

     We had a Branch Christmas Party which was so so fun! Patrik (I mentioned him last week) from English class came! I wasn't sure if he would come or not, but he did, and he had a great time. I don't believe that he really has many friends so it was really good for him. It was enjoyable for me to talk to him and get to know him better, and to practice some of my Hungarian language skills. I also invited him to church and he came to that too! We are going to have the Elders teach him if he is interested. Also the Relief Society Presidents granddaughters, Néomi and Zsobi came to the Christmas Party and they are the cutest! They are around 14  years old and they knew that I played piano and right before we were about the leave, they ran up to me and each took one of my hands and walked me over to the piano to play for them. They asked me to play Für Elise and their reaction was so precious! They came to church the next day too and had me play for them again and even sang along to another song I played. I am excited to teach them more about the Gospel, and they both said they want to be baptized too! Maybe I will be able to teach them a little piano as well, they both really want to learn. 

     I think that sums up this week. I hope you all have a Happy Christmas. I was reading the story of our Savior's birth in Luke this morning and something that I love is how so may people associated with the Savior are reassured to not be afraid, to "be not fearful". Also, in Matthew Chapter 1, verses 20-21, Joseph is reassured to "fear not". The story of our Savior's birth is so dear to me and I am so grateful for His example and His Atonement, that made the resurrection a reality and eternal life a possibility for us all. 


Sok szeretettel, Schoendorfer Nővér


Dinner in Nyiregyhaza at one of the Christmas booths
Having a little nap on the train ride to Budapest for a Zone Conference

Large wooden tree in Budapest

Cathedral in Budapest

Add caption
Monkey I got during the White Elephant gift exchange

Branch Christmas Party with companion and Dora

Neomi, Hannah and Zsobi

Cute Neomi all dressed up in the donated clothes at the Branch House

No comments:

Post a Comment