Thursday, November 5, 2015

MTC - Week 4

Szia!  (Hello!)

     This week has been pretty great. I'll just start out by saying, "I'm officially MTC famous." But I mean, it's about time since I have been here for a little more than four weeks. Hahah, just kidding, well kind of. I played a piano solo in devotional with all the missionaries on Sunday and it was so fun! I played an arrangement called "Joseph Smith Medley," which is one of my favorite pieces. I have had people come up to me everyday since I played and say something like "Hey! You're the girl who played in devotional right!" It has been so fun, my district has been joking that soon people will start asking me to sign their scriptures. 
     The speaker at the devotional was Tim Zeidner, a professor at BYU. He spoke about families and how central families are to the gospel. He got up to speak right after I played and he said that when I played, he was reminded of an experience he had on his mission. He told us he didn't speak the language very well, but that he was able to share a sweet and powerful testimony about Joseph Smith and how he is a prophet, called of God. I felt the spirit so strongly as he shared this and recently my testimony has been so strengthened about Joseph Smith, especially as I teach others about his life and share my simple, but sincere testimony about it in Hungarian. 
     After the devotional though, a senior missionary couple came up to me and the man, clearly blind, put out his hand to shake mine while his wife told me, "My husband told me I had to find you and bring him to you because he absolutely loved your playing." It was such a tender moment, I think people who are blind have such a special ability to connect with people. Also, Elder Juhasz (an Elder from Hungary who is also cousins with Levente) came up to me afterward and told me he started to cry as I played, and that he wishes I could just play that song for everyone I meet in Hungary. He is so excited for me to go to his home country to bless the lives of the people there. 
     I had an amazing experience this week with listening to the spirit. My companion and I were about to teach a lesson to Franciska, who plays the role of a gypsy in Hungary. She is really hard to talk to and is always feeling pretty down. Before the lesson I prayed that we would be able to understand her needs and talk to her about what she needed to hear and I was able to convey a message of love and peace as we taught her about the restoration. I may have sounded like a caveman but the spirit in the room was strong and the conversation we had with her was sincere. The gift of tongues is real and I love learning this challenging language! 
     On Saturday, Sisar Jones and I were feeling a little bummed out about it being Halloween and being in the MTC, so we dressed up as homeless people and went trick or treating in the residence hall. It was so fun to meet the girls on the other floors and talk to them about where they are from and where they are going. We also, surprisingly, got so much candy! Sisar Jones leaves for Finland in four days and I am going to miss her so much! She has been so helpful and comforting whenever I have a 'not so good day'. She will do great things in Finland though, without a doubt.
     Last week, my friend, Elder Horne who is serving in Spain, sent a letter about how we get out of things what we expect based on our attitude going into them. He also talked about how God will give you challenges in life but He will also bring you up and make you stronger through them. Through the Atonement, we can not only be forgiven, but we can receive strength and comfort. Christ knows how we feel in every situation and we are able to feel His love if we soften our hearts and look for the good. 
     This past week, I was having a rough time and feeling overwhelmed with the language and some other things going on. My companion and I were at the front desk figuring some things out and as we left I ran into Elisa Huhem, who I didn't even know was at the MTC yet. Elisa is a close friend from BYU who I love so much and it was such a blessing to see her at that moment. I know Heavenly Father loves us so much and He will show His love for us even if it is in small ways. 
     Also, this past week, I was called as Music Coordinator, which didn't especially come as a huge surprise haha. From now on, I am in charge of finding hymns for us to sing in Sacrament meeting which is actually a harder task than usual because we need hymns that are in the English, Finnish, Hungarian, and now in the Albania hymnbook, so it is sometimes a challenge. We got a new group of Albanian missionaries this week and they are so fun. Two of the elders are from England so they have the best accents and it's fun to hear the different phrases they use. 
     Another attribute that I have been trying to focus on this week is having more patience. Patience is being able to hold up under pressure in a calm and hopeful manner. I know there are times in all of our lives where we feel pressured to do the right thing but it is important to also remember to be patient with yourself. I have found being patient with yourself while learning a language is tough but it is so crucial. The Lord puts us in certain situations so that we can see our weaknesses and improve. He will help us improve by transforming our weaknesses into strengths if we put forth the effort. None of us are perfect. I love in Mosiah 24:15 where is says, "they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord." That is what I want to be able to say at all times, even when it may seem hard to have patience and stay hopeful. Heavenly Father has a plan for us, and He won't leave us to figure out this life on our own. 
     At the devotional we had on Tuesday night, the speaker was Richard J. Maynes, of the 70. He talked about constantly looking for ways to reach out to others and about having greater faith than fear. I feel like these two things go hand in hand because I'm sure there will be times when I will be scared to talk to people in Hungary, but if I have the right attitude and greater faith than fear, I will be able to open my mouth and talk to others about the source of my happiness in my life - which is the gospel! 
     At the devotional, I was in the choir and we sang "Be Still My Soul." I love this song so much. The words are so comforting:

  1. Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;
    With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
    Leave to thy God to order and provide;
    In ev'ry change he faithful will remain.
    Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav'nly Friend
    Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.
  2. Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
    To guide the future as he has the past.
    Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
    All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
    Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
    His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.
  3. Be still, my soul: The hour is hast'ning on
    When we shall be forever with the Lord,
    When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
    Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
    Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past,
    All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
     I love learning Hungarian and learning so much about the gospel. I have never had so much of a love for the scriptures as I do right now. They truly have the power to answer all of life's questions. Heavenly Father knows us each personally and wants to help us, we just have to let Him.  

  1. Sok szeretettel, Schoendorfer Nővér
  2. Sister Jones and I dressed up as homeless people and went trick or treating on Halloween
    Picture that Emily drew and sent to me, she's incredible!
    Elisa Huhem is here! To bad she leaves next week :(  It has been fun to see her though.




2 comments:

  1. What a sweet spirit and attitude!! Love reading your blog Hannah!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She sounds so good and happy and I teared up reading about people loving and appreciating her music. What a gift! That she so willingly shares! xoxo

    ReplyDelete