Monday, June 6, 2016

Csókolom...literally.

Hey! We had a much better week here in Nyíregyháza! Also last Monday was my Névnap (Name Day) here in Hungary. On the calendars each day there are a few names and on Monday it was my name! I didn't actually know until we got a call from Péter later in the day wishing me a Boldog Névnapot (Happy Name Day)! 

This week Jarrett Nővér and I got on a bus to find somewhere to go tracting! We got off at a random spot where there were some of the most beautiful houses I've ever seen! We were welcomed in by a really aged bácsi who was wearing only a short pair of boxers with a light robe, and had what appeared to be the hair of a mad scientist who had maybe just been electrocuted? He was so sweet though and started to cry as he told me I looked like his niece! It was so sad! He said he hadn't seen his niece in quite a while but he was so happy that we came by and shared a message with him. He told us all kinds of stories about his life before we left. Then he kissed our hands, a literal csókolom, ("kezit csókolom" is a greeting they use a lot with older people which literally means "I kiss your hand," usually they just say csókolom and don't actually do it, but he actually kissed our hand, it was so sweet) and then he walked us out. He was so lonely and even though it wasn't a big deal to us necessarily, he really appreciated that we came by and I'm glad we were able to lift his spirits. 

The Sister training leaders came to Nyíregyháza this past week and we had some great success with them and were able to get more done. We gave out 12 Books of Mormon in under an hour, just talking to people on the street. I went with Hawker Nővér and headed to Sóstóhegy to meet with Péter and also Enikő, another woman that lives in Sóstó. We had a nice lesson with Péter and he is doing well. He made us another yummy dinner and we talked a lot about baptism and confirmation, and the importance and the blessings that come from this. 

With Enikő, we had a great lesson! We talked about faith and Enikő had so much to say, she truly has such strong faith! Enikő has been learning about the church for a few years and we haven't actually been able to meet with her in quite some time. But, the other day I felt like I really needed to call her and see how she was doing. I didn't know why I had that impression but I went ahead and called her up. To my surprise, she invited us to come over that night! When we met with her, as we talked about faith, she said that earlier when I called, was truly a miracle for her. She said she had been feeling really sad (her mom passed away in December and she is still having a hard time), and really down during the day. She told us that the moment I called her was the exact moment she looked at the picture of Christ she has hanging up in her room and that my phone call was a sign that Christ had not forgotten about her, that she really felt Heavenly Father's love for her. I'm so grateful we were able to meet with her and I'm so grateful for the spirit and the blessings we receive when we follow the promptings of the spirit, even if they seem small to us, it could really be meaningful for someone else. 

We also had another let-in this week with two cute young girls, Szonja, Eszter, and their cute one-month old dog, Daisy! We had a short lesson with them and introduced them to the Book of Mormon and we are excited to go back there again this week. We went over to Valika's this past week and were able to teach her cute granddaughter, Noémi. I have learned SO much from Valika (she is also the branch Relief Society President), and this week she taught us how to make a scripture case! I had told her a while ago that I liked hers and she remembered that I said that and got stuff ready for us to make our own! She also told us her conversion story that took place 19 years ago! She said she met the missionaries on the street and started meeting with them a few days later. She also said that the moment the missionaries put the Book of Mormon in her hands, she knew it was true! She is such a miracle! 

That is about it for this past week. This coming week will be my last week in Nyíregyháza as we get transfer calls in a week. I have been here for 6 months and have loved every second of it!!! I must admit that I am excited to go somewhere new next week though, and I look forward to meeting and teaching new people. Also this week I have been thinking a lot about the simple things and the simplicity of the gospel. Yes, there are many things we can focus on, and even many things we don't know all the answer to, but the doctrines of the gospel are so simple that a child can understand them and I am so grateful for that. In 2nd Nephi, Nephi says (Nephi 33:6), "I glory in plainness, I glory in truth, I glory in my Jesus..." and I feel the same way. Simple gospel truths can be the most meaningful. I am grateful for the simple things in the gospel, the simple things in life and for the love our Heavenly Father and Christ have for us. 

Sending my love,
Sok​
 szeretettel, Schoendorfer 
Nőver
We had splits this week in Nyiregyhaza with the Sister Training Leaders.
They have many beautiful sunsets here.

Look Dan, I found Mountain Dew here!
A beautiful rainbow we had after yet another thunderstorm!

Helping out in the garden


The watermelon here is the best I've ever had!
Valika learning how to take a selfie!

Last, but not least, Valika's cute dog Mimi. Love this dog!


No comments:

Post a Comment